Thursday, August 25, 2005

Resolutions

Here are a few:

1. Stop using stemware. I shall drink wine from tumblers, highballs, on-the-rocks glasses, anything but stemware. Those stem glasses spill and break easily and there's no earthly reason to use them that isn't merely aesthetic. If you really think the wine tastes better drunk from a "wine glass" I say fooey, fooey and fooey. Go read a snobby wine blog.

2. Eat more eggs for lunch and dinner. As in this ratatouille with eggs.



Basically, you make ratatouille (it's the season for it), crack a few eggs into it, and bake until they're just cooked. (I got this idea from Roger Vergé's Vegetables in the French Style, a really great cookbook.) Americans think eggs are breakfast or brunch food, but they're delicious all day and night.

3. Stop drinking Diet Pepsi. I hate the stuff but I can't stop drinking it. It's not the worst addiction a person can have, but I still despise myself for being a meek slave to Pepsico.

2 Comments:

Blogger femme feral said...

I need to know how to make that!

I'm with you on the diet pepsi thing. I go off it, I go on it. On / off. What's in there that I love so much? It must be powerful, b/c for some reason I'm way more freaked out about growth hormones in milk than I am by whatever is in that diet soda stuff.

On the topic of sodas: I love italian sodas. do you know how to make that syrup stuff? And do you ever use a juicer?

2:03 AM  
Blogger mzn said...

Hi FF, I loved your childhood memories.

Ratatouille isn't hard to make, but even Rachael Ray couldn't do it in 30 minutes. You cube up eggplant, zucchini, and peppers (I forgot to get these yesterday so ours was pepperless) and cook them each separately (I did this in the oven at 400) with olive oil. Then you add sauteed onions, really good tomatoes (peeled and chopped up, careful not to lose any of their juices), garlic, and a bundle of herbs (thyme, parsley, bay, perhaps basil or rosemary). You cook it in a covered casserole for about half an hour. This, more or less, is the Roger Vergé method. He also recommends topping with cheese and breadcrumbs to make the ratatouille into a gratin. I'm a salt maniac, so I was careful to salt each ingredient as I cooked it, and then I sprinkled salt and pepper on each egg after dropping it in.

I love Italian sodas too. You can buy the syrups they use in coffee shops (my favorite is vanilla). To make a flavored syrup you combine water, sugar, and whatever flavorful ingredient you have (fresh mint would work well) and boil until the sugar is dissolved. Then it's a good idea to let it cool down in the saucepan to infuse the syrup with the flavor. Strain, add ice and soda, and sip it through a straw.

Finally, no juicer around here. Do you ever use a juicer?

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home