Thursday, October 27, 2005

Cuban



For dinner I shaved slices off my leftover roast to make Cuban sandwiches. I split a big hunk of French bread and slathered mayo and bright yellow mustard on each side. Then I layered on the roast, swiss cheese, kosher dill pickle slices, and some ham. Everything was very thinly sliced. I'm not sure why, but the thinly sliced part is crucial. Then I buttered the outside of the loaf and pressed it between these two heavy pans. I cooked this on the stovetop for a few minutes and then let if finish in a 450 degree oven (in which there were some frozen "fries" crisping up; we're not too good for a little Ore Ida now and then around here and if this is to be an honest blog--and what other kind would you want?--I must not keep such details from you). Apparently these Cubans are all the rage in Miami. They're good in Milwaukee, too.

The Ore Ida spuds bring to mind other "bad" things I really like: white bread, iceberg lettuce, Hidden Valley Ranch dressing, Miller Genuine Draft, Ritz crackers, anything made by Pepperidge Farm, Billy Joel's "Honesty," John Denver's "Annie's Song," early Chicago, Howard Stern on E!, teen movies like Can't Hardly Wait and She's All That. Another candidate: a new magazine I picked up today with a certain food celeb smiling on the cover and wearing a t-shirt that reads "YUM-O!"

Ok, I'm turning the pages of the mag and on p.14 I find a glossary of the celeb's Rachael-isms.
Yum-O!
I say this if something is so good that "yum" just isn't enough of an exclamation. The accent is on the "O" as in, "Oh! That is so good!"

Delish!
Extra Yum-O!
Oh god, I feel dirty.

5 Comments:

Blogger femme feral said...

I like teen movies too.

And why is iceberg lettuce bad? It's crunchy. I mean I know it isn't all mesclun hipster styles, but doesn't that give it retro street cred?

3:11 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

"She's All That"...hehe. Well. I like "Can't Hardly Wait" too, the first time I saw it. Not so sure if I'd like it now.

"Yum-o"?! Oh my god, whaat?! I've never seen/read anything by Rachel Ray. Maybe that's for the best.

I'd say that iceberg lettuce is bad because it has no nutritional benefit, although it's not bad for you either. Then again, some people would probably count it as a healthy vegetable or something and it's usually coupled with unhealthy food, like...a hamburger.

I like the crunchiness. :D

9:46 AM  
Blogger Helen said...

Your cuban sandwiches look so good, I wish I was heading to Chez Henry for lunch (a Boston restaurant that makes a great version of those), instead of to a pilates class. Oh and I see a post about "kosher blogger", can't wait to read about that when I get back. I know I am supposed to feel guilty about doing this at work, but it's friday, right?

10:54 AM  
Blogger mzn said...

I remembered another bad thing I really like: food court Chinese food, e.g., sesame chicken. Delish!

3:44 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Since I just had a mammogram, I can't even bear to watch Cuban sandwiches being made. If you don't know what I am talking about, you will sooner than you think.
eqj

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home