Thursday, April 13, 2006

Pacific Northwest gefilte fish and...



When she used to visit family in Oregon, my Bubbe apparently used to make gefilte fish with salmon. I made it yesterday for Passover, much like this, except with King salmon instead of the usual whitefish and pike. This time I didn't bother making a fish stock first. Instead I made a vegetable stock with fennel and leeks.

PNW gefilte doesn't come across as a novelty act at all, but if you have never had gefilte fish and are eager to try it, I would urge you to begin with the traditional recipe. Whether white or pink, gefilte fish is served, of course, with fresh beet horseradish.

(Today is the first day of Passover, and some of my more observant readers might think it's just not right to be posting to a blog about yontif food on yontif. Contradictions abound.)

Now about Passover television: chez Haverchuk we were thrilled to see Bucky leave the Idol show but very concerned about our boy Elliott Yamin, stuck again among the bottom three contestants. We learned last night during the interviews with the contestants' nearest and dearest that Elliot loves his mama and his mama loves him. We already knew this but it doesn't hurt to be reminded.

3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

Good Yontif! (See? I'm almost Jewish..)

I posted Irene's recipe as an addendum to my post. It's a pretty taditional recipe (with the exception of the pancetta, of course), and very delicious.

Hope you're able to convince your wife to let you kick the brisket up a notch. Maybe you can make brisket some regular day, instead of springing it on her on a high holy day, when it's too charged with the whoe tradition thing.

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pink gefilte fish. I love it. Well coordinated with the beet-horseradish, too.

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chag Sameach, Happy Pesach.
I celebrated with a bunch of big fat gay Jews, I did. Cool thing about that is that THEY cooked, and we sang a lot. Eurovision got mixed into it somehow. Ordinarily I hate that stuff, but it was infectious.

Anyhoozelbees, when I still celebrated with my fambly instead of the gays, I used to serve sashimi carpaccio, with homemade horseradish because it's a lot less work and only homemade gefilte fish doesn't make the Solomon's hurl.

Loving the carrots, and your PNWGF looks AWESOME and it's making my mouth WATER.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home