Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Play time

This playground is at Atwater school in Shorewood. The little man loves to run across the blue bridge to get to the top of the slide. When he was less sure on his feet this made me anxious but I've seen him cross it a hundred times now and I know he can do it.

A good playground needs not just good and safe stuff but also variety and space for running around. It also helps if the surroundings are pleasant. This isn't the prettiest park in town, but it's one of our most regular destinations.

This season the little man wants to swing on the big swings. I'm having no success teaching him to pump his legs to get himself to go high. That skill might me a year or two away. He accepts that to have a fast and thrilling ride he will have to keep going on the baby swings but I can tell there's a bit of disappointment there. He can't just graduate to the next level and put the baby swings behind him. He's only two but he doesn't really know it.

The playground was empty today. We were there from 4:30 until 5:30. The temperature was around 50 degrees Fahrenheit, there wasn't much wind, the sun was bright and casting long shadows.




1 Comments:

Blogger Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

One of the many sad things about watching your kids grow up is that at a certain age, they get too old for playgrounds. I used to love hanging around the playground with my daughters, sitting in the sunshine, pushing them on the swings, drinking a cup of coffee with my husband on a Sunday morning as the girls played together in the sandbox...

Cherish these times, they are gone all too fast.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home