Friday, August 26, 2005

The ice cream project: peach frozen yogurt



Frozen yogurt? Why?

There's always yogurt in the house. It's nice to have something to serve lactards like Clay Aiken. Frozen yogurt is refreshing and can be delicious. It's not ice cream, it's not sherbet or sorbet, it's not the real deal, I know. I made it, though, and I'm here to tell you about it.

I had some frozen peaches waiting to be used. Again, I should know better. It's peach season, but the freezer knows no seasons.



I thought if I drained full-fat plain yogurt by straining out its whey (I think that's what its moisture content is called) through a coffee filter it would behave like cream cheese and give my frozen dessert a luxurious texture. Wrong.

I added Lactaid to please the lactards and corn syrup to smooth the texture as in my sherbet. I corrected the sweetness with some extra sugar. Here it is going into the machine



and coming out of it.



And here is a scoop in the hands of a happy child about to drop it.



It was sweet, a hint sour from the yogurt, and plenty peachy. But it wasn't rich and I thought its texture was a bit off. That said, it was still worlds better than the gummy/airy lowfat abominations sold as frozen yogurt throughout the land. The American perversion of yogurt into a kind of healthful candy is one of our great culinary shames. I have more to say about yogurt, lots more. Another day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy W. said...

That peach ice cream looks good. Ice cream is not available in my vilage, so mybe I'l try making it.

1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home