Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Foodie tricksters

I'm intrigued by the idea of tricking your dinner guests, as suggested by this announcement of the next Is My Blog Burning? The theme is "Trick someone into eating a vegan meal." I might have found my moment to wade into the food-blogging event culture. Hope I'm up to the task. In the meantime, get a load of this description from the above-linked site:
For many people the word vegan conjures up negative images. Sandal-wearing, pale-skinned, tofu-eating, knit your own meusli, animal liberation activist, retarded, scabies-infested, hippy trustafarian are adjectives that might come to mind. But it really doesn't have to be that way. Please, let's all give the Vegans a break.
Incidentally, "knit your own muesli" would seem to be a phrase British people use to mock the sort of folks I would describe as crunchy-granola. I have no idea, though, what it means to knit cereal.

1 Comments:

Blogger md said...

I love the phrase "knit your own" when applied to cereal. Granola does depend on a certain amount of fusion, and what holds it together? sugar and fat? Doesn't sugar turns into a sort of lace-work, textile-ish substance? I guess it would be more accurate to say food knits itself, but you know, I'm a big fan of radical metaphor.

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home