Monday, October 17, 2005

My television pulse

Being married to someone whose profession demands that she see practically every show on television exposes me to the best and worst of the tube. So with the new season a few weeks old, here's how I'm feeling about current American prime-time programs, mostly on the networks and a little bit on cable. (The big surprise, of course, is how many comedies are worth watching.)

Never miss it: Veronica, Gilmore, Curb, Arrested, Degrassi: The Next Generation (but the whole Kevin Smith thing was a disaster)

Rather not miss it: How I Met Your Mom (though the narration from the future is seeming unnecessary), Everyone Hates Chris, Weeds, The Simpsons, Commander-in-Chief (supercheesy but fun, and I'm eager to see what changes with Steven Bochco at the helm)

Will watch if it's on: any of the Law & Order shows, Lost (drives me crazy with the way it answers questions with more questions, but I grudgingly admire its audacity), My Name is Earl, Out of Practice (unfortunately, the pilot's promise seems not to be paying off), Everwood, Amazing Race, Kitchen Confidential, The Office, Monk, The Shield, Charmed, CSI Las Vegas (these last four I have barely ever watched)

Tried it, didn't like it: Freddie, Bones, Extras, Close to Home (what was with all the US flags?)

Never seen it but open to trying: Rescue Me, Entourage, Medium, Numbers, Without a Trace, CSI: NY, CSI: Miami, Huff

Never seen it, no interest in trying: 7th Heaven, Marthapprentice, model tryouts, Ghost Whisperer, all the new creepy one-word-name shows like Supernatural, Boston Legal, NCIS

Didn't like it before, tried it again, still don't like it: Desperate Housewives

Didn't like it before but still open to trying again: House, Nip/Tuck, The L Word, Deadwood, Grey's Anatomy, West Wing

Didn't like it before and NOT open to trying again: Cold Case, Crossing Jordan, Smallville, Donaldapprentice, any makeover/nanny/Paris Hilton show, 2.5 Men

Used to like it, gave it up, not going back: ER, Survivor

Used to like it, then gave it up, then tried again, still didn't like it, NOT open to trying again: Alias, The O.C., 24

Eager to watch, haven't gotten around to it: The Wire

Can't come back soon enough: The Closer, The Sopranos

Let me get back to you: American Idol

Don't let the door hit your ass: Just Legal, Inconceivable

4 Comments:

Blogger WTOTW said...

I've enjoyed Earl a lot. I just gave up on Alias last week. I'm sitting out Amazing Race in protest of the family version. And I think that Everwood is the most underrated show that I've seen.

10:00 PM  
Blogger femme feral said...

Entourage sucks. Unless you like egomaniacs. And I refuse to watch any show with Jared Padalecki or Chad Michael Murray.

The Wire is awesome. And Extras is also pretty hot.

Since I know you like American Idol, I'm going to recommend MTV's Making the Band. It's almost the only reality show on that channel that isn't about spoiled, annoying rich people (i.e. LB, My Super Sweet Sixteen -- btw, I'd be interested to know what your significant other thinks of those two shows).

I'm plotting out my fantasy gilmore girls / buffy crossover episode. Taylor is a vampire.

10:27 PM  
Blogger mzn said...

FF, did you see TV Gal's Crossover fantasies?

6:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't get the whole Desperate Housewives thing either. Of course, my tastes are usually a bit outside of the mainstream.

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home