Sunday, October 02, 2005

Toronto blues

I miss Toronto all the time. Here are some things that are helping me cope.

Via Torontoist, a guide to the "Maki mile" (shouldn't that be kilometre?) of sushi joints on Bloor St. between Spadina and Bathurst. I have spent easily hundreds of hours loafing and wandering in this neck of the woods, but most of these restaurants have opened since I moved away. If I were hungry there my first choice would be stuffed cabbage and mashed potatoes at Future's Bakery, but I'm a bit tempted by the novelty of sushi with eccentric names like Scarlett O'Hara, Tokyo Love Boat, and Canadian Dream Roll. (I shouldn't need to tell you that there is no Milwaukee Maki Mile.)

I've been flipping through the pages of the photoblog Daily Dose of Imagery. One things that excites me about this site is how recognizable the locations are. I know exactly where many of the photos were shot to the point that I can picture myself standing where the photographer stood. But the city has changed since I left it and some spaces seem sadly unfamiliar, like the corner of Yonge and Dundas in the linked image. In my memory that spot looks completely different.

1 Comments:

Blogger kspring said...

i share your sentiments and thank you for the links. the toronto of my beloved youth began to crumble when paramount theaters erected that horrific megaplex at richmond and john. but the city's cuisine is still divine, and i love wandering around the old neighbourhoods.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home