Saturday, February 04, 2006

Foodie!


So I took the foodie quiz and scored at the expert level, 33 out of 38. Here is how it describes me, the Expert Foodie:
The Expert Foodie makes culinary pursuits an important part of everyday life. You probably get all the major food magazines, plan your vacations around locations with great food, and are first of your friends to dine in the new hot restaurants. You are likely to have taken more than your fair share of cooking classes, consider Larousse Gastronomique a must-have, and it's more than likely that your job involves dining or wine. You aren't afraid to admit you spend more money on food than fashionistas do on the latest designer trends and you know the experience is well worth the cost. The Expert Foodie is ever in search of new flavor and probably has a few scars-considered badges of honor-garnered in the kitchen.
Wrong on all counts except the first. I subscribe to no food magazines, plan my "vacations" around friends' and family members' weddings, and eat in hot restaurants very seldom, perhaps three or four times a year. I have never taken a single cooking class, consult my Larousse practically never, and don't work in the culinary trade. If I spent as much as the fashionistas I might not be afraid to admit it, but I don't. I'm no longer in search of new flavors--though I wouldn't say no to a fresh truffle, which I've never tried--and (turn away, evil eye) I have no kitchen scars.

I lost my points on question 4, about removing stains from pots and pans, and question 12, how many times a week do you dine out. I knew that the more times the higher the points, but I decided to see what would happen if I chose an honest answer, "0-1." I got one point for that. A couple of other answers were educated guesses.

Groucho-Marxism aside, I really do not care to be called a foodie. Is foodie anything other than the new word for gourmet? The fact that people no longer describe themselves as gourmets should tell us something. To my ear, foodie sounds all wrong. I hear it and think of yuppies slavering outside of the Time Warner Center. Chowhound is a good alternative when it comes to eating out--I am proud to say, "I'm not a foodie, I'm a chowhound"--but I don't know if there's a word that basically means "chowhound of home cooking." Let me know if you think of one.

Image source.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with you as a big un-fan of the word "f----e." I objected thus back in August:

Can we do something about not ever using this word? It always makes me think of a hooker talking about how Dick Morris made her walk through a sheet cake: "He's some kind of politician, but he's a real foodie."

10:38 AM  
Blogger Robyn said...

I don't think I'm a foodie. I say that because it's an easy thing to say to people who...aren't...foodies? Haha. Or I say, "I'M JUST A GLUTTON." Chowhound is a better one but I don't think I'm even a chowhound. ...GLUTTON.

I got a 28 on the quiz. Buuh. It's so wrong about me being good in the kitchen; I suck. Nor do I dream of taking cooking classes. I dream of eating stuff abroad, haarhrharhdifdchocs.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it's the "ie" at the end. Belittling, demeaning, sounds like you should be wearing a beanie?

Foodster?

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hell yeah! 'Foodie' is bourgeois term. I hate that shit. Oh, sorry for the potty mouth.

MZN, remember when I said I had a post office phobia? I wasn't exaggeraging.

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got 33 points. I don't eat out that much, because I live in a city without very many places to eat where the chef can cook better than I can.

I clearly am not into 'product', because I thought you could clean your pans with lemon juice. goes to show how into cleaning with water I am.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

I like foodster. I usually use the term "food geek," because that's really what I am - hopelessly, dorkily enthusiastic about kitchens and cooking and food. I don't subscribe to ANY food magazines anymore, I hardly ever eat out and I plan my vacations around art museums and landscapes (thank god, I think everyone is married off that's going to be, so I don't have to go to any more weddings). But I got a 35 on the quiz. I would have gotten a perfect score if I had lied about how often I eat out, but like you I went with truth, "0-1."

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home