Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The ice cream project: mint chocolate chip ice cream

Mint Chocolate Chip

Two things in this one that I want to tell you about:

1. Santander Colombian chocolate, 53% cocoa, one 70g bar chopped into chips with a big knife and folded in just at the end of the churning. These chips draw you back to the freezer for just another bite, and another, and another, until you have eaten twice as much as you otherwise might have.

2. Green food coloring, seven or eight drops added when the mixture was cool. Unless you are blind, mint tastes better green.

The recipe is the same as green chile mint but with just the things left out and added in that you would figure.

I'll spell it out for you:
fresh mint, a big bunch
half and half, 3 cups
heavy cream, 1 cup
egg yolks, 8
sugar, 9 oz.
chocolate, 70g/2.47oz.

Happy summer.

6 Comments:

Blogger Renbot said...

Ice cream. My favourite food (I just had some). It's too bad I didn't have an ice cream maker.


You should try making a UBE (aka taro) ice cream. Although some people really don't like it.

It's purple!

11:40 PM  
Blogger femme feral said...

this reminds me that I wanted to ask you if you've tried mint water. Another fancy water...but very very refreshing. I think this post has inspired me to go buy some fresh mint.

4:21 PM  
Blogger mzn said...

I will make taro ice cream one of these days, Renee. I like taro as I have encountered it in Chinese restaurants but I have never cooked it myself.

FF: no mint water yet. My mint that doesn't make it into ice cream lately goes in mojitos and in Asian pesto with cilantro, peanuts, chiles, garlic, and ginger. I once made a mint-garlic rub for lamb chops but that wouldn't interest you much I guess. I also like to make swordfish kebabs marinated in a mint-chile-ginger-fish sauce paste.

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it must be green. I wish there was a more real food way to make this happen, other than the repulsive spinach water option, but as far as I know, there is not.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Can you recommend an ice cream maker?

6:06 PM  
Blogger mzn said...

I'm with you on spinach water, Lindy. Food coloring isn't so bad. It doesn't affect the flavor or texture and in small quantities it surely can't hurt you.

Angel: I have ever only used a Rival, their simplest one. I bought it on sale at Target a few years ago and it has always worked fine. I don't think it pays to spend big money for this appliance unless you are really going to use it all the time. I doubt that expensive models make significantly better ice cream but since I haven't tried them, I should keep my mouth shut.

If I were going to get a new ice cream machine I would buy one with two canisters so that I could make two different flavors at once. If you have the kind that has only one canister you can really only make ice cream once a day, which is usually but not always enough.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home