Friday, September 23, 2005

Happy potatoes



I needed a dinner for the kid and me but didn't have a lot of time to spend making it. We had some dark meat chicken and some wings laying around so after lunch I brined the pieces in my standard mixture of 1/3 cup table salt to 1 quart water (approximate, I eyeballed the water). Then at 5 o'clock I spread olive oil on my pan, spread potatoes and carrots over the oil and salted them well, then laid the chicken pieces over the vegetables skin side up. This is a minimalist dish: no herbs, no spices, no frills. I baked at 400 for 45 minutes at which point the wings were done (and so I fed them to the little man, who ate them with relish) and then raised the temp to 430 for another 30 to get the skin extra crisp. Potatoes love to be bathed in schmaltz. I ate these thighs, carrots, and spuds after putting the kid to bed, and my dining companion tonight was this excellent cookbook.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks yummy. I love oven-baked chicken and vegies.

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home