Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Fried rice #2



I continued the fried rice experiment this evening. As perhaps you don't remember, I was trying some variations on my standard recipe. First was adding eggs at the end instead of scrambling them at the beginning. Tonight I also tried a combination of light and dark soy instead of my beloved kecap manis. I thought it would be less fantastic than usual, but no. I liked the dark/light soy combo. I also threw in some chicken, marinated in salt, sugar, white pepper, and mirin, some garlic and ginger, salt and white pepper, red bell pepper, carrots, peas, and leeks. I didn't even wash the leeks--they were spotlessly clean.

Fried rice #3, God willing, will include some SPAM. In the past few weeks both my mother and my mother-in-law have noticed the squat little tin of SPAM in our pantry and reacted as though it were rotting skunk flesh. Well, keep reading. One of these days I'm going to eat some of that stuff, but not before I take its picture for you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tokkan Kozo said...

I'm looking forward to your SPAM fried rice. There was a time in my life when I ate a lot of SPAM. I once made freid rice with both SPAM and Kielbasa, my other favorite greasy meat product.

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor SPAM. As is turns out, a number of people I've met who had very disparaging comments to make about SPAM have never actually tried it. Oh well, more for us.

8:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a little obsessed with trying out fried rice and don't really understand why I haven't already made this a hundred times. Your photos of fried rice are kind of making me hungry.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home