Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Squash galore



Can you name all of these squash? You get a gold star if you can. I can't. Until a few of years ago, I was able to identify only acorn and butternut (and pumpkin, of course, if it counts). Then I was introduced to the wonderful delicata squash, the one most zucchini-like in shape and size (third from the right in the front row). Unlike most squash, delicata have edible skin. I have still never tried kabocha, hubbard, spaghetti, or most of the other various ones here. My favorites aside from delicata are acorn and butternut, and I like these three enough not to care too much about expanding my squash repertoire further. If you're a fan of another, though, let me know while the store is still flush.

This array is at the nearby, rather small, notsupermarket, which stocks very few of the special things one wishes that supermarkets would carry but fears they will not. No panko breadcrumbs, no creme fraiche or Mexican crema, no good canned tomatoes, no kecap manis or dark soy, no kasha, no baby bok choy, no Thai basil, no skirt steak, no kosher poultry, no fresh fish I would care to eat. But nine kinds of squash, gadzooks, and dirt cheap, too! (Click on the image to blow it up real big.)

Does the notsupermarket actually sell all of these? I can't imagine it does. I should put a little chalkmark on each one and return after two weeks to see how many are still there. I think these squash are on display mainly to look nice. They do that well. Most people never try anything new when they shop for groceries. They buy the same twenty or thirty items every trip. When I'm checking out, I'm usually the only person in the place who has produce other than a few bananas or apples in the cart. And yes, of course I always look in other people's carts. I study them carefully because it's a competition: who can shop for the best groceries. I am currently undefeated.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

What a beautiful picture! You made me want to run out and buy all kinds of crazy squash. Too bad it is the middle of the night.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn:McAuliflower said...

Now there's a food "meme" to unleash on the masses of food blogs: misson for this weekend... steal an item forma fellow shoppers grocery cart. Bonus points for giving them an item you know they really ment to buy instead.

btw, here by way of your comment on the Whole Foods vs Safeway post at AH. Very well put.

12:16 PM  
Blogger mzn said...

Hi, mcauliflower. Your vegan creations on Brownie Points are an inspiration. Even the tofu ice cream looks amazing.

1:00 PM  
Blogger femme feral said...

spaghetti squash is good. And I thought only texans looked in each others' shopping carts. I'd never experienced it anywhere else before I moved here.

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just this year planted my first Lakota squash, then I had to move, my garden was neglected, but the new residents brought me the only Lakota squash that grew. Now I would like to know how to cook it! Any suggestions?

1:32 AM  
Blogger mzn said...

Cindy,
I've never had lakota squash in my life (but this post gets traffic every day from people searching for info about it). You should ask Barbara how to turn them into pie or soup. Her blog is Tigers & Strawberries.

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home