Sunday, June 04, 2006

Picture time

On those weekends we are fortunate to spend at home doing not much, the little man's nap (usually about two hours sometime between noon and 3) is our spare time for catching up on television, reading, going shopping, talking on the phone, making ice cream, and of course blogging and Flickring and being online. But it is also potentially work time. In the academic life, all time is potentially work time, and when I am caught up in a project or facing a deadline I will devote every available moment to scholarly pursuits. Right now I am trying to get into full-on scholarly mode and today's naptime might have been spent on my writing project. But it wasn't. What I really wanted to do was go to the bookstore to buy a guide to using Photoshop, which I haven't done a good enough job of teaching myself. That is exactly the wrong way to spend time: seeking an aide to squandering even more time in the future. Instead I stayed home while E went shopping, and I pleased myself more than just a bit by figuring out enough to produce this Photoshopped documentation of our lunch, a Caesar salad (the idea for which I got from reading about a meal at Zuni in San Francisco), for my Flickr:

Caesar Salad

It isn't such a fancy bit of work, I know, but I'm not so quick to pick up these high-tech skills (thus the ordinariness of this blog's design).

I think I might be happy to spend the rest of my life taking pictures of eggs but I really do have other things to accomplish.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks quite professional to me!

3:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Raw egg on wooden salad bowl is very cool.

4:27 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Ordinariness of design?!? Surely you jest.

9:45 PM  
Blogger mzn said...

Thx doug, and nice to "see" you.

Lindy: I love the raw yolk but I'm still trying to figure out the raw white.

TCL: I'm in solidarity with all the minima ochre bloggers and I have no plans to abandon the template, but sometimes I do dream of my own little look.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, no-the transparency of the white is all good. It looks great.

7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home