Thursday, May 11, 2006

For the ears

I know they've been around for at least a year or two, but I'm just getting into podcasts now. Here are a couple of food ones.

1. The Los Angeles radio program Good Food on KCRW begins each episode with a farmer's market report recorded live at a market. I was having intense tangerine envy the other day when they were describing the different kinds you can get in Santa Monica. Delicious juicy ones that peel really easily, and some that are even sweeter but thin-skinned and trickier to eat. You have to use a knife and the juice ends up all over your hands. I was drooling on my iPod and I don't even like tangerines.

This had me cursing, as I was listening last week, because the market season here wasn't even underway yet. But it is now. If you're local, here are two that I recommend:

West Allis Farmer's Market, corner of 65th and National, Saturdays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays beginning at 1 pm. I would have been there today but it was raining and really windy. This is my favorite place in metro Milwaukee for buying local vegetables and early in the season it has lots of flowers, plants and other garden things that I almost never buy.

Brookfield Farmer's Market, 2000 N. Calhoun Rd., Saturdays 7:30-noon. This is a very well attended market (I hate empty ones) adjacent to Brookfield City Hall that sells all the regular foodstuffs and also plenty of crafty stuffs. They also have live music on many market mornings and people love to bring their dogs.

The others in the area aren't open this weekend, so I'll let you know when they are and what to look for.

Back to the podcasts:

2. Eat Feed (I found it through Silverbrow's sidebar), is thoughtful, literate, and full of passion. I was listening to a show of theirs from last summer, "Ice Cream Through the Ages", which has an interview with Jeri Quinzio that oozes historical curiosities and novel ice cream ideas. Quinzio is the author of Ice Cream: A Cook's History of Cold Comfort, which has me smacking my forehead (how could I not own that book? how great is that title?).

One of the Eat Feed ice cream ideas that I'm eager to try is white coffee. You steep whole beans in cream and you end up with a subtle flavor and a light, whitish color.

I started something ice-creamy today that's much different from that, but you'll have to stay tuned to find out more.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, someone living at the intersection of Toronto, Madison, London, and Montreal -- my 4 favorite cities -- gives us a plug. Exciting! (And how many other people really think of London and Madison in the same thought?) I hope the white coffee ice cream worked out. It really is as beautiful as it is delicious.

4:56 PM  
Blogger mzn said...

Still haven't tried it, Anne. On my list. Thanks for stopping by. You're the highest profile food personality to comment here, by the way. Now that you've left your mark, I'm sure we'll be seeing Steingarten and Bourdain any day now.

I don't think of Madison and London at the same time either. And I haven't lived in London since 1973, so I barely think of it at all.

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home