Saturday, August 06, 2005

At the farmer's market

Here's what I saw at the East Town market at Cathedral Square Park today.



Apricots,



Swiss chard,



beets,



tomatoes,



and a farmer selling lamb and apples.

There was a also a jazz band playing to an audience of none but me and my youngster. They were doing a Michel Legrand number from The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.



We took home apricots, basil, bok choy, broccoli, lamb, leeks, lettuce, okra, rosemary, Swiss chard, and tomatoes. (The beets looked nice, but we have already eaten a summer's worth of them.)

5 Comments:

Blogger the sad billionaire said...

That farmer's market looks like a lot of fun.
What was the lineup of the jazz band? That is so sad that they didnt have an audience. I wonder if they still got paid.
Oh, BTW-- could you do a feature on mushrooms one of these days... you know, the different types, fun recipes, that kind of thing. People in Texas are demanding it!

5:00 PM  
Blogger mzn said...

I think the lineup was guitar, bass guitar, and vibes. When they finished the Legrand number I clapped and said, "I love that movie, you never hear that song." The guitar or bass player deadpanned, "It's on the radio all the time," so deadpan I had responded, "Are you kidding?" before realizing he was kidding.

I could do a feature on mushrooms. Do you want it very, very badly?

9:25 PM  
Blogger femme feral said...

and how long will miso paste last in the fridge?

3:20 AM  
Blogger mzn said...

Hi FF,
Miso will keep for at least a year in the fridge. But do keep it wrapped nice and air-tight and don't go sticking your germy fingers in it.

Are you making miso soup? Miso glaze for some fish? Salad dressing for cucumbers?

12:57 PM  
Blogger femme feral said...

I made miso soup, my new very favorite food. I've basically been craving it. I tried to make a hearty version. I used LOTS of tofu and LOTS of seaweed and then I devoured the whole pot.

Does miso have narcotic properties? I felt like a teletubby afterwards.

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home