Monday, August 29, 2005

"A quiescently frozen confection"

It took my brain a long time to wrap itself around liquid nitrogen ice cream. I'm still trying to make sense of Pacojet ice cream, or frozen mousse, or whatever the Pacosters want to call it. And today I read about a carbonated ice cream being developed by engineers at MIT:
''It's not ice cream in the usual sense," said John G. Brisson, an associate professor of mechanical engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. ''It has a carbonated bite, and it just kind of goes 'whoof' on your tongue."

...

'This product is exciting," he said. ''The effervescence is unique. People are always looking for a new flavor, a new texture, a new mouth sensation. I'd think it would have pretty good commercial potential."
My Rival and I refuse to be intimidated by these superfantastic technodesserts. But we would like to try them.

4 Comments:

Blogger kspring said...

This reminds me of an article in last week's New York Times Magazine about the Cryovack (a.k.a. sous vide) food process, also "developed by a scientist."

1:54 PM  
Blogger mzn said...

That's interesting. I'm thinking of improvising a sous vide experiment, as here. Maybe you should try it and let me know how it goes!

2:13 PM  
Blogger femme feral said...

I feel like I read about carbonated ice cream a long time ago. I'd love to tast root beer ice cream. I love root beer floats. And what's up with bryer's new double churned ice cream. how does it have half the fat? does it just have a more air?

3:11 PM  
Blogger mzn said...

It would seem that Bryer's is a copycat of Dreyer's Grand Light lowfat ice cream. I haven't tried either one, but they do some hi-tech processing voodoo to make a product taste rich even though it isn't. Read about it here. Have you tried them?

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home