Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Omigod

This post, by Eddie Lin of Deep End Dining, is as compelling a blog entry as you will ever read. The topic is a Filipino street snack called balut, which is a duck egg containing a two-and-a-half-week-old fetus. The writing is high-octane. A sample:
Balut is the culinary heart of darkness. If you eat it, you have reservations about doing so. If you know about it, you have strong opinions regarding it. Ask for it in a restaurant and the clerk will visibly react. Devour it at a table with others who aren’t eating it and you’re guaranteed to dine solo. Explain balut to the uninitiated and be prepared for your audience to run away from you as quickly as possible while seeking sanctuary in something comforting like a Ding Dong.
and
My palms began to sweat as I deliberately took the egg apart piece by piece. Every time a chunk of egg was removed it was like the jack in the box. I wanted to stop but I was morbidly curious and could not. The next chunk of albumen came off. And the next. Then the next…
The photographs are pretty omigod too. Dive into the deep end if you dare.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to eat it. That's why I've never applied to go on Survivor or Fear Factor :)

12:35 AM  
Blogger femme feral said...

too close to eating your pet.

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home