Thursday, January 25, 2007

He lives!

Previously I asked, Does W. G. Sinclair, a reviewer on Amazon.com, exist? The very same Sinclair, alias The Duke of Prunes, has left a comment on that post boasting of his existence and linking to his website.

Now that Amazon reviewers can be tracked using RSS feeds, a whole genre of mock reviews has sprung up. I mention some of these satirists in the Sinclair post. Another is the prolific, absurdist Mister Quickly. MQ has this to say about Joanna Newsome's recent album Ys:
My friend Roger Custom recommended this album to me. I was suspicious, because upon his recommendation I also picked up an obscure album called "Sword Cutting Through Meat" ,the debut by the artist Sword Cutting Through Meat. I can't think of how to describe its content except referring you to the album title. Some time later, Roger Custom played me Sword Cutting Through Meat's sophomore album, "Babies Crying", which is only marginally better than his debut. The third release, "Stepping on Salmon" is an improvement that while sometimes having soothing tactile noises, on the whole is too slippery and falls short of its sporadic promise.

So when Roger Custom recommended this album I felt he no longer had any credibility. Trying to sell me on Ys, he described it as the aural equivalent of barely pubescent girls flying giant swans in heart shaped squad formation across Henri Rousseau landscapes. I listened to it and agreed with him on this, but I'm more a Théodore Rousseau fan which is why I've given Ys 3 stars.
As for me, I have been blogging elsewhere about matters on which I am more expert than ice cream and SPAM. The new blog is called Zigzigger and I hope to see you there. I am not killing off Haverchuk but I don't know that I will have more than the occasional word or two to say here for the foreseeable future. Maybe in summertime, when the farmers markets are back and I feel like making ice cream, I'll be a more regular public foodster.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pyewacket said...

Glad you're okay - I've missed your posts.

10:55 AM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

On the contrary, mzn, it is precisely at this time of year that we need our Midwestern food bloggers most urgently!
If Laura Ingalls had had a blog during the Long Winter, when all they ate, three times a day, every day for eight months was plain brown bread, I'd have wanted to read that, wouldn't you? Of course, Laura couldn't have blogged that winter, because her fingers were too swollen and stiff for typing, but you know what I mean.

11:01 PM  
Blogger mzn said...

You and zp should start a Laurablog, chocolate lady, a kind of fan fiction in blog mode. People would definitely read that.

Thanks for your kind words, pyewacket. I'll be back.

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home