Thursday, August 11, 2005

Personal info

This MKE blog-of-the-week surprise has made me think that readers who don't know me personally might want a detail or two. Here's a list of things about me.

1. I'm 33 years old.

2. I was born in London, grew up in Toronto, went to school in Montreal and Madison, WI, and along the way I also lived in New York City. I have been in Milwaukee for three years. I don't know what kind of accent I have, but it's not very Wisconsin.

3. I have a PhD, a real one.

4. Aside from a few weeks in the summer of 1993, I have never worked in a professional kitchen. (Those few weeks were spent working for a kosher caterer in Toronto. I actually learned a lot. The number one lesson was that good cooks are efficient--they do everything quickly without being careless.)

5. I don't like bananas.

6. If my blog of the week rival Badger Blog Alliance were to include me in their categories of Wisconsin blogs, I would be on the blue Wisconsin roll. I voted for Dean in the 2004 Democratic primary and felt a charge of excitement when I spotted him not five feet from me in a hotel lobby in Austin in June.

7. These are my favorite leisure-time activities in order of preference: seeing movies in a theater, watching television, reading, rectangle shopping (this is a friend's neat term referring at once to shopping for books, records, and dvds), eating out. I usually prefer eating at home to eating out.

8. These are the publications that arrive at our place: the Sunday NYT, Entertainment Weekly, The New Yorker, The New Republic, [edited to add: Bitch, a Feminist Response to Popular Culture], and The Nation. We used to get Saveur and Gourmet but I decided I can't stand them. Ditto Vanity Fair. We also used to get TV Guide but it's become obsolete, especially now that we have TiVo.

9. My favorite kitchen tool is an 8-inch cook's knife.

10. When I go into a bookstore, I always check the movies/TV section, the recent fiction, and the cookbooks. I always look at magazines. I also like to have a look in science and in social studies or cultural studies or whatever they're calling books like that. I stay away from history, biography, nature, home improvement, and computers. Lately I spend a lot of time in children's sections too.

5 Comments:

Blogger femme feral said...

Congrats on blog of the week!

You missed the best part of the bookstore -- poetry!!!

5 Reasons why I think the poetry section is the best:

1. Poetry is the most radical use of language.

2. Dickinson

3. It zings and zangs. Word for word, poetry packs the biggest punch. After reading or writing poetry, prose seems leaden, sluggish, and clunky. Oh, and boring.

4. The music

5. No annoying wannabe superstar fiction writer boys clog up the aisles and loudly discuss their love for Bukowski, Burroughs, or Hunter S. Thompson. It's so obvious that they're just trying to pick up "chicks." The worst your going to find in poetry is some Rumi dude.*

And my bonus reason:

6. The books can easily fit in a pocket or a bag. And because of their (typically) slender spines, many of them can fit on your shelves. Cool!

I like the children's section too!

are there fake Phds?

P.S. Mopey Bills wants to know how you convinced your sister to go an east of greece food emporium.

* I do like Rumi, btw.

4:11 AM  
Blogger mzn said...

My sister didn't actually step foot inside the Indian market. She waited in the car with the kid while I ran in.

Re: real vs. fake PhDs. There are people out there calling themselves Dr. this and that and you can never tell what their true qualifications are. Dr. Pepper and Dr. Johnny Fever, for instance. I'm pretty sure you can buy a PhD on the Internet (along with spare body parts and entire towns). And then there are those folks with honorary doctorates who go around calling themselves doctor. Sheesh.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Elana Levine said...

You forgot one magazine: Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Pyewacket said...

Rectangle shopping just became my new favorite phrase. Very useful, too, considering that's pretty much what I do every weekend.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is your email? I want to contact you to send you samples of a terroir cheese from Wisconsin to try... Love your blog and would love your feedback! Please email me at tali@dca-dcpr.com so I can respond via email!

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home