Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The self-timing egg


The Times (UK), npr: the British Egg Information Service will introduce eggs with an ink printed on them to tell you when they're ready. The radio story has a lovely bit of cultural mixup when the American host doesn't understand what the British guest means by "soldiers."



Meanwhile, CBS is going to run ads on eggs. All those DVRsters who ffwd past network promos will learn that Survivor is on at 8 on Thursdays one way or another.

All this is fine with me. I have no snarky reply, no jokes, no rants, no resigned cynicism. Writing on eggs: I'm for it. Indeed I do it all the time, marking the cooked eggs in the carton to distinguish them from the raw ones.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that many people still eat eggs that way; soft-boiled, I mean. I guess in Britain, where they still dip "soldiers" into them. I don't think there would be much use for that over here.

12:27 PM  
Blogger md said...

all I have to say is that now I want to write poems on eggs. thank you.

1:39 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Well, I don't think these self-timing printed eggs would do the trick for me. It seems that if you get distracted boiling an egg, then inevitably you would also distracted watching the egg waiting for the ink to show up.
What they need is an egg that will emit a piercing whistle when it is ready.

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home