Friday, August 19, 2005

In my stockpot



The other day I conceded that the freezer had again become unmanageable. Every time I would go for some icecubes, a pint of ice cream, a frozen bialy, or a handful of SeƱor Freezes would land on my foot. So I defrosted the old bits of poultry that were waiting to be turned into stock and this morning they're simmering away. There's a turkey back, a bunch of chicken wings, some necks, and the parts of tonight's chicken that aren't leg quarters, breasts, or liver. There's half an onion that's been in the fridge for a week, some carrots, parsley, peppercorns, bay, and leeks. (The celery was looking sad and I dumped it.) Cookbooks insist that you should trim away fat before placing poultry in the stockpot or carefully skim the stock when it comes to a simmer. I say that's blarney. When it's done, after five or six hours, I'll strain the stock carefully and refrigerate it so that the fat is easily removed (to be used in matzo balls).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home