Saturday, December 31, 2005

Canadian latkes



As promised, my mother's cooking. These are latkes from the first night of Chanukah (a week ago). She grated the potatoes, Yukons, by hand using a rotary grater and added egg, matzo meal, and salt. The pancakes are very flat and smallish. She fried them in corn oil. They went quickly, perhaps as little as two minutes per side. These are the kind my bubbe (grandmother) used to make. A few nights later I made some with about half as much onion as potato, also grated by hand. Both kinds are good. No matter how you make them, they don't improve with age. They're best crisp and hot from the pan. In my family we eat them with sour cream and applesauce and we consider them a meal unto themselves.

I promise a more thorough report of Toronto eating, drinking, and being merry very soon. In the meantime, Happy New Year!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your site today through FPW, so I wanted to say Hi and Happy Chanukah and Happy New Year! I also shared my family's latke recipe on my blog this week. Yum!

4:08 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

I would have to give up low carb for a day if someone offered me some of those latkes.

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home