Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Best-of update

A couple of weeks ago I kvetched about the best of 2005 lists. I said:
The year-end best-of lists are a nightmare. I feel like I must not have been alive in 2005. I haven't seen the movies, haven't read the books, haven't listened to the records. I have spent much of 2005 reading blogs, watching television, and chasing a toddler around playgrounds. The MSM hasn't been offering me the best blogs or television shows or playgrounds of the year. Why not?
No one has come forward with the best playgrounds but since I wrote that, entries in the other two categories have appeared. My pick of the best of 2005 television lists would be TV Gal's. As for the blogs, there's a usual-suspects list from last June (?) at Time. But a much better roundup is to be found at Kottke (not the MSM, mind you).

4 Comments:

Blogger Robyn said...

A few days ago I found Indie Music for Dummies's 100 albums list made out of the top music lists from a gazillion music blogs. Maaan, that's just too much.

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"chasing a toddler around playgrounds" is a mighty fine use of time which pays dividends to both the hunter and the hunted. That's my 51 yr old opinion and I'm stickin' to it!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

Best playground (US) - The Billy Johnson Playground in Central Park

http://www.centralparknyc.org/virtualpark/southend/billyjohnsonpg

Best playground (Paris) - The children's playground in Luxembourg gardens.

8:40 PM  
Blogger mzn said...

Hey thtam,
It took me until just now to figure out that you're
http://theblogthatatemanhattan.blogspot.com/
because when I clicked on your name it told me your blogger profile is top secret or something. Anyway, thanks for the NYC and Paris playground suggestions. We were in NYC this past summer but were staying on the UWS and stuck exclusively to playgrounds within walking distance. My favorite from an aesthetic standpoint was the one with the hippos (west 80s?) but I think the kid liked the one with sand and water better (slightly uptown of the hippos?). Perhaps this observation is of interest to no one at all. When the warm weather returns I'm going to do some kind of Milwaukee playground roundup. My readers in Singapore will love that one!

Oh and Robyn: your link prompted me finally to go out and get Come on Feel the Illinois. I will almost certainly not start blogging record reviews but who knows, this *is* my little corner of the world.

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home